Thanks for the feedback, Andy!
presumably this is done very deliberately, in order to avoid processing funders’ data.
You presume correctly. GrantNav is designed to be a mirror on the data - to present the data that is published in a helpful way and to encourage engagement with it. To achieve that, we’ve held to the principle of presenting the data as it was published as closely as possible. Up until now, GrantNav has actually been misrepresenting some of the data by presenting non-GBP grants as being in GBP.
The current solution looks like it might have been more trouble to implement
Currency conversion is a tricky thing to decide how to do, rather than tricky to do - there’s lots of decisions around rates to use, when to consider a conversion to have happened, and whether it exacerbates the sense of false equivalency between grants that were apparently the same size.
Fundamentally, however, we come back to the question of what GrantNav is for - and that’s to present the published data. If the publisher says that a grant of 200 USD was given, then GrantNav should say that a grant of 200 USD was given, not that a grant was given that’s equivalent to some amount of GBP. If that sort of analysis is helpful to a user, they (should) have everything they need in the download to do that analysis in a way that makes sense for their use case.
The current solution does have some weirdness that we need to work on, for sure. As @cased says, discrepancies make people distrust the data (or the tool) very quickly. We’re currently working on signposting / explaining the interface, so we’re hoping to address some of that over the coming weeks.
the funders page includes 69 funders (rather than the 71 on the homepage). I guess that’s because it’s just showing GBP funders? (I haven’t checked)
I’ve added https://github.com/OpenDataServices/grantnav/issues/456 to address this. I think you’re right, it’s because it’s only showing GBP, but we should either explain it or provide a switcher.
the currency changes between funder pages (depending on the funder’s most common currency) which could be jarring for the user. E.g. Arcadia vs Rowntree
Could you tell me more about this? It’s certainly more information on the page. I did wonder about this when we developed it, but I largely put it down to being so used to how it used to be that it was jarring for me just because it was different.
totals are all per currency, rather than an overall value total (Zing has non-trivial USD grants, but they total is hidden without an extra click)
This is a consequence of not converting. We did considering adding a totals section for each currency but had to trade off consistency of design with how much information we presented on the page. I’ll add it as a GitHub issue, if you think it’s something we should address differently.
the grants table on a funder page includes amounts in different currencies. Sorting by amount sorts by absolute numbers, rather than relative value.
This is another consequence of not converting. Our aim in the work we’ve just completed was to make GrantNav more truthful about non-GBP grants, and to that aim, it’s succeeded. The previous version just presented USD grants as being in GBP - so a 100 USD grant would be presented as a 100 GBP grant, which was just plain wrong.
However, this has, as you’ve discovered, created a whole new load of issues to fix. Ironic, perhaps, that stopping GrantNav providing incorrect information might actually have a negative impact on trust - but it’s all learning we need to do.