How many Core Funding grants are active?

Hello,

I’m investigating the question “How many core funding grants are active” in the 360Giving dataset.

So far I’ve begun by searching GrantNAV for grants awarded between 2015 and 2018, which are “active” because their end date falls in the future:
plannedDates.startDate:[2015-01-01 TO 2018-12-31] AND plannedDates.endDate:[2019-01-01 TO 2030-12-31] AND awardDate:[2015-01-01 TO 2018-12-31]

The following fields identify helpful data:
fundingType.Vocabulary: core, unrestricted
grantProgramme.Scheme: core
Title: core, unrestricted, salary
Description: core, unrestricted, salary

I’d like to narrow down the search to results which only include grants where core, unrestricted, or salaries are mentioned. I’d appreciate help with writing the technical search, as I’m struggling a bit :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Hi Anthony - interesting question.

You could definitely try combining them using something like:

plannedDates.startDate:[2015-01-01 TO 2018-12-31] AND plannedDates.endDate:[2019-01-01 TO 2030-12-31] AND awardDate:[2015-01-01 TO 2018-12-31] AND (description:core OR description:unrestricted OR description:salar~ OR title:core OR title:unrestricted OR title:salar~)

(NB the title and description fields need to be lowercase otherwise they don’t match the field names)]

I don’t think the fundingType field is well used by publishers, and in fact a general problem is that publishers may not describe their funding as core in the way you’re looking for.

An alternative approach might be to do a simpler search with just the planned dates restriction, and then export the data to Excel or something like OpenRefine to filter it more - that way you’ll be able to manually test out what various search terms do to the dataset.

Hope that’s some help!
David

Hi David!

Thanks a lot for your advice :slight_smile: I now know how to search the description field properly so I really appreciate that.

I exported the data based on the dates to Excel, and have been using conditional formatting to highlight description fields if they contain the words core, unrestricted, salary, salaries, staff, running costs, or overhead. I tried ‘rent’ but it highlighted too many projects.

Based on your search, it identified 656 grants, whereas my Excel spreadsheet came up with 999. I’ll have a look through your search results, as mine might therefore be including grants that shouldn’t be.

Thanks again! Looking forward to publishing some results :slight_smile: