Resources for workshop #1

My question is: Where are the gaps in funding for ex-offender supports, and does this indicate what kind of support is prioritised?

I might need to refine this by looking at what I mean by ex-offenders (released within 5 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc) and how I would define or or categories the supports (eg housing, employment, mental health etc). I am interested in seeing if the focus (or neglect!) of statutory funding aligns with that of the non-statutory funder and why.

I found our first session very useful and was glad it started from basics, talking about what is data, what is statutory. A lot of times it feels like training can rush ahead on assumptions. Also enjoyed spending time thinking about how to frame the question, and not being afraid to change the questions according to what data is available.
Looking forward to getting stuck in and also trying to find other sources eg from Justice Data Lab.

Thanks for a really useful session, very thought provoking and useful. I felt the model for refining the questions and data sources especially useful.

In terms of my question, like many others I think regarding the impact of statutory funding. So heres the question
“What are the changes in indepndent funding by geographic area (East Midlands Local Authorities) compared to changes in grant expenditure to the voluntary sector of that Local Authority over the past 5 years?”

In terms of data sources obviously the Grant Nav will give me a good indication of the indepndent funding, but I was clear where I would get the information on the Local Authorities. You did say you may have some suggestions.

Thanks so much for sharing Ethny!

Here’s some useful resources to help with your question:

1. AgeUK Briefing: Health and Care of Older People in England 2017 - Pages 18+ have detailed information, graphs and data sources on social care funding.
  2. Charities can be a lifeline for older people as statutory services suffer - Article that mentions the above report.
  3. GrantNav search for council grants related to key words: older people / elderly

Take a critical look at the links above along with the handout - what else can you find?

Please add your reflections and findings to Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data.

Hi Bethan,

Thanks for sharing your question. It’s a good starting point and not too broad if you’re looking for an overview.

I recommend:

Browse the resources and see if anything jumps out at you. Check any data you find against the handout and compare with the GrantNav grants for Trafford.

Please add your reflections and findings to Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data.

Hi Andy

That’s an interesting question! I agree on defining ‘biodiversity’, I’d also define the places:

I’m guessing you already know about The Darwin Initiative?

The Darwin Initiative is a UK government grants scheme that helps to protect biodiversity and the natural environment through locally based projects worldwide.

Hi Anna

Interesting! I could only find 3 grants for Early Childhood Development in GrantNav which is unusual. So I’d define ECD and see if it’s funded with other descriptions, for example, childhood obesity?

The British Academy has a list of Early Childhood Development awards you can browse, mostly academic.

Very interested in what you find in this area! Please add your reflections and findings to Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data.

Thanks Abi, I’m glad you found it useful!

For your question, it’s worth checking if you mean UK-wide, England, Wales, NI or Scotland as they all have separate indices.

It’s worth reading the guidance to understand how they work before you get stuck in.

Index of Multiple Deprivation for England (2015)

You can contact the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government by email (indices.deprivation@communities.gsi.gov.uk), they may be able to advise what constitutes an area being declared most deprived.

Index of Multiple Deprivation for Wales

Index of Multiple Deprivation for Scotland

Index of Multiple Deprivation for Northern Ireland

Thanks so much Clare! Looks like you’ve got a great handle on some things to refine. It’s worth looking at what data is out there as it could help with the process of refinement.

GrantNav has grants listed from the Ministry of Justice. The MoJ also publishes Statistics at MOJ.

Thanks Gary, I’m glad you found it useful.

There are 45 councils who are members of the East Midlands Councils. Using their website information, you can search for “Grants to voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations” which are required under the Local government transparency code 2015.

For example:

grants site:http://www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/

You can also check https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/ for previous requests - though they should all be published!

Thanks Edafe, will do!
Anna

Thanks Edafe. I’ve used the IMD data before. I think what will be the biggest challenge is finding the most appropriate geographic code on the 360giving data to be able to match it up with the IMD data (as it’s based on LSOAs).

I see what you mean Abi. It looks like there are two summaries of the indices that might be useful for you in this case - town level in the Town and Cities Analysis section and local authority summary level in the English Indices of Multiple Deprivation section.

I’ve added both to this week’s resource page: Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data

Thanks for a great workshop last week. I am late to the party here as this is my first day back at work since then!

My question is:
Where in London are there large numbers of people with No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) and does this match with the areas where my organisation has given out Samaritan grants? And ideally I would also like to look at whether the numbers of people with NRPF has increased since 2010, and if so, where.

(Samaritan grants are given to frontline organisations for them to operate as a hardship fund, helping people out in an emergency e.g. with a small amount of cash for food, travel, or utilities. Often it’s people who are destitute because they are NRPF and have no right to work either.)

I guess I need to clarify what I mean by “where”. It would be brilliant if I could find data for local neighbourhoods/wards of London, not just boroughs.

1 Like

Thank you for the very informative day!

My question is: is there a relationship between statutory funding and increasing loneliness in Big Local areas in greater Manchester?

There are about 8 Big Local areas in greater Manchester and I would be really interested in comparing that with the rest of greater Manchester. And as I begin to look for data to answer the question, I probably need to think about what kind of statutory funding I should be looking.

1 Like

Hi Lindasy

Thanks for updating with your question. It looks like you might have some cross-over with Bethan, so please do keep an eye on the resources she’s looking at.

Here’s some interesting resources I pulled up. I think, from my very quick look, that official loneliness statistics is mainly at national level: Loneliness in Older People - FOI response

I did, however, find some interesting starting points to add to your search:

It is estimated that across the UK older population, 9-13% of people report being often or always lonely or are socially isolated (Age UK 2016).

I’m very interested to see what you find! Please add your reflections and findings to Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data.

Hi Alison

Boroughs vs neighbourhoods/wards is an interesting dilemna.

I’m guessing you’ve taken a look at the London data store?

Let me know what you found in this week’s resource page: Resources for check-in #1 - Finding Data

Sorry for my very belated reply to this - its Trustee paper time so all a bit manic!

I’d like to tie this data journey into a piece of work I am doing to learn more about the criminal justice sector in Buckinghamshire. At the moment, I think my question will be “What statutory funding is available for arts/learning programmes in Buckinghamshire prisons? What other funding is also available? How does access to this funding affect reoffending rates?”

I need to spend some time refining the definition of art/learning programmes. I would also need to decide whether to include Milton Keynes as, although it is part of Buckinghamshire, it is its own unitary authority.

For my sources, I’d like to have a look at the recently published Justice Data Labs. I know that Leap and Forward Trust publish data so will have a look at what they have available. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Hi All,

My (provisional) questions is:

Since 2015, what is the total amount of funding recorded on GrantNav that has been awarded for music-making activities delivered by organisations located in the 20% most deprived Local Authorities in England, and what proportion of these recipients are statutory bodies.

Thanks for sharing your question Meghann. It’s worth taking a look in GrantNav for grants in the area:

[Only Locations] Buckinghamshire

http://grantnav.threesixtygiving.org/search?json_query=%7B%22extra_context%22%3A+%7B%22amountAwardedFixed_facet_size%22%3A+3%2C+%22awardYear_facet_size%22%3A+3%7D%2C+%22sort%22%3A+%7B%22_score%22%3A+%7B%22order%22%3A+%22desc%22%7D%7D%2C+%22aggs%22%3A+%7B%22recipientOrganization%22%3A+%7B%22terms%22%3A+%7B%22field%22%3A+%22recipientOrganization.id_and_name%22%2C+%22size%22%3A+3%7D%7D%2C+%22fundingOrganization%22%3A+%7B%22terms%22%3A+%7B%22field%22%3A+%22fundingOrganization.id_and_name%22%2C+%22size%22%3A+3%7D%7D%2C+%22currency%22%3A+%7B%22terms%22%3A+%7B%22field%22%3A+%22currency%22%2C+%22size%22%3A+3%7D%7D%2C+%22recipientRegionName%22%3A+%7B%22terms%22%3A+%7B%22field%22%3A+%22recipientRegionName%22%2C+%22size%22%3A+3%7D%7D%2C+%22recipientDistrictName%22%3A+%7B%22terms%22%3A+%7B%22field%22%3A+%22recipientDistrictName%22%2C+%22size%22%3A+3%7D%7D%7D%2C+%22query%22%3A+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22filter%22%3A+%5B%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%2C+%22must%22%3A+%7B%7D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%7B%22range%22%3A+%7B%22amountAwarded%22%3A+%7B%7D%7D%7D%2C+%22must%22%3A+%7B%7D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%2C+%7B%22bool%22%3A+%7B%22should%22%3A+%5B%5D%7D%7D%5D%2C+%22must%22%3A+%7B%22query_string%22%3A+%7B%22query%22%3A+%22%5BOnly+Locations%5D+Buckinghamshire%22%2C+%22default_field%22%3A+%22_all%22%7D%7D%7D%7D%7D

This should give you some idea of the type of grants that have been published in the 360Giving format. You can also filter using words like ‘Justice’, ‘Arts’ and ‘Prison’.

I’m guessing that by Buckinghamshire, you mean the area covered by Buckinghamshire County Council? There are also District Councils, so it may worth checking which ones cover the area you’re interested in.

Buckinghamshire County Council has a research page with boundary maps, deprivation, population and more. It’s worth taking a look at their Funding for your community organisation

I found the Buckinghamshire County Council transparency code where they list a Contracts Register that may be worth a look. Annoyingly it’s a PDF! Let me know if it’s useful and we’ll see about making it a spreadsheet.

Thanks Nick!

Very interested in what you find. I’m guessing you’ll be using the Indices of Multiple Deprivation to identify the 20% most deprived Local Authorities? You’ll find some links in the Resources for check in #1.